Tuesday 3 May 2011

Samsung…. Dual SIM Done Right!!!

Now I’m usually the kind of guy who just needs an excuse to own one more extra piece of tech, this however does not stand true for a lot of people. It just so happens, that my beloved Dad is one of those people, and he takes technology on a purely need to use basis. He does however just like a lot of people in Pakistan own two different SIMs.



One regular complaint of his however was, that despite owning two SIMs he didn’t particularly like lugging around two different mobile phones all the time. On a regular basis and through jolts of sarcasm from time to time, he kept on reminding me that I needed to take the time out and buy him one of those Chinese manufactured Dual-SIM phones. Now don’t get me wrong, there are many ways in which the purchase of a Chinese branded phone is justified, I personally however fail to accept them.

So in the face of the dilemma of my Dad’s adamant demand, I was caught between neglecting his inconvenience and letting him carry two branded phones or yielding to a sub-par Chinese product. I had known that Samsung at one time or another manufactured Dual-SIM phones, but their drawback was that you could only have one SIM active at a time. This meant that even though the Samsung phones could house two SIMs, only one could be utilized at a time. This limitation was a deal breaker for both my dad and me.

That’s when I came across this ray of hope. Apparently, Samsung had realized that having only one SIM active at a time made owing a Dual-SIM phone pointless and had since then decided to fix the problem. Behold, I came across the Samsung GT-C5212 Duos (Plainly put 5212 Duos). When I first saw the phone and read the specs I wasn’t impressed. It’s a non-expensive phone, with no touchscreen, a basic camera and has a negligible physical presence. But then it hit me… That’s exactly what makes this phone perfect. It’s not expensive, it doesn’t have a touchscreen with a learning curve, the camera is just decent enough to get the job done and it’s small and easy to carry. It was everything that my Dad or people who don’t necessarily crave technology desire in a phone. Looking from a non-techie perspective, it is SIMPLY brilliant.



My dad didn’t really require a phone that showed him the future or calculated the curvature of Mars, he needed a phone that made phone calls, sent and received messages and supported two active SIMs. In that regard the Samsung 5212 Duos was a perfect fit. Noteworthy features that made it more appealing were that it had a decent enough camera just in case he needed it; It also had a memory card slot and comes with a 2GB card in the box for storing pictures, videos, ringtones and music; it had surprisingly good battery life; and if my dad ever decided to take a leap in that direction, although I doubt he would, GPRS and email capability. Needless to say, I jumped the gun and purchased one for my Dad as quickly as I could get my hands on one.

So if you are one of the people who value convenience and simplicity over high-tech gadgetry and all the bells and whistles, and if you are in the market for a Dual-SIM phone, it would simply be unwise not to consider and possibly choose the Samsung Duos. The phone is great, the call quality is great, it comes from a reputable company and at approximately PKR 8000, its great value for money!!!




Follow PakiTechie on Twitter

1 comment: